Varicose veins can occur anywhere on the body but are mostly found in the legs.
There are many factors that can influence the formation of varicose veins, and these include:
- Genetics – if your family members suffer from varicose veins, chances are someday you might too.
- Pregnancy – due to the increased blood volume, the added pressure on veins from the uterus and the relaxation effects of oestrogen and progesterone on the walls of veins, women are more likely to develop varicose veins when they are pregnant.
- Prolonged standing – occupations that involve long periods of sitting or standing, especially on hard surfaces such as concrete, can contribute to the development of varicose veins.
- Obesity – excess weight places pressure on our circulatory system, leading to the increased likelihood of varicose veins developing.
- Age – in general, elderly individuals are more likely to have varicose vein development than their younger counterparts.
Varicose Veins aren’t just a cosmetic issue, they can be potentially dangerous.
The presence of varicose veins can be unsightly, however, their appearance isn’t the only problem that they pose. If blood pools in the varicose vein and becomes stagnant, blood clots can begin to form. These aren’t always life-threatening but are particularly painful. A deep vein clot, however, can pose a more serious threat as it can break loose and move through the bloodstream and into the lungs and cause a potentially fatal blockage. All of these complications can be avoided through our range of non-surgical and minimally invasive treatments at our Sunshine Coast practice.
At Sunshine Vein Clinic, we have a range of non-surgical and minimally invasive options to treat varicose veins.
Our non-surgical vein treatments offer far better long-term results than surgical vein stripping. Recent studies have shown that the five-year recurrence rate after vein stripping is 50 to 65%. Surgical stripping also carries the risk of side effects related to general anaesthesia and prolonged immobility that is never present with newer non-surgical methods.
Our clinic located on the Sunshine Coast offers vein treatment options that do not require hospitalisation, general anaesthesia, or a prolonged recovery period. Patients typically experience minimal pain and can return to work within a day or two. The five-year recurrence rate for vein treatment procedures like ours has been reported to be only 8 to 10%. Don’t put up with your unsightly and harmful varicose veins any longer, arrange a consultation with us and we can help you alleviate the problem.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks’ and ‘Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.