Angelina Jolie to remove varicose veins with laser treatment before marrying Brad
Every bride wants to look as good as they feel on their wedding day, and it appears that Angelina Jolie is no exception
In an article published this month in U.S magazine, the National Enquirer, Angeline Jolie plans to remove the bulging veins from her arms, saying that she ‘wants to look as beautiful as possible when she walks down the aisle this summer’ to marry long-term partner Brad Pitt.
The National Enquirer claims that Angelina will opt for Endovenous laser treatment, which is frequently used to reduce the appearance of unsightly varicose veins. A catheter is inserted into the troublesome vein and a laser is passed through that which then delivers short bursts of energy that heat up the vein and seal it closed. Blood no longer pumps through it and so it disappears.
If you are troubled by unsightly and uncomfortable varicose or thread veins, here at the Sunshine Vein Clinic, we offer the latest treatments, including Endovenous laser treatment, to get you looking good and feeling better fast.
What causes varicose and spider veins to appear?
Varicose veins and spider veins are usually a result of venous reflux. Venous reflux is the impaired return of blood from the legs and feet, often creating varicose veins, swelling, aching, skin changes or venous ulcers. In many cases, venous insufficiency is the result of over dilation of the venous vessels in the legs. This dilation eventually prevents the valve cusps from closing properly- resulting in reflux. There are many factors that can influence the formation of varicose veins, including:
- Genetics – if your family members suffer from varicose veins, chances are someday you might too.
- Pregnancy – due to the increased blood volume, the added pressure on veins from the uterus and the relaxation effects of oestrogen and progesterone on the walls of veins, women are more likely to develop varicose veins when they are pregnant.
- Prolonged standing – occupations that involve long periods of sitting or standing, especially on hard surfaces such as concrete, can contribute to the development of varicose veins.
- Obesity – excess weight places pressure on our circulatory system, leading to the increased likelihood of varicose veins developing.
- Age – in general, elderly individuals are more likely to have varicose vein development than their younger counter-parts.
The importance of treating varicose veins – not just a cosmetic solution
Here at the Sunshine Vein Clinic in Peregian Beach we have seen the effects that varicose veins can have on the body. While it is said that varicose veins may not cause any serious problems, in some cases, varicose veins can indeed lead to serious health issues.
For example, if varicose veins are left untreated, they can cause the skin surrounding them to thin. Once this happens they become very susceptible to bursting, which is a very unpleasant and often a painful experience. Blood clotting within the vein, known technically as Deep vein thrombosis, can also occur, causing a “pulling” feeling in the calf, pain, warmth, redness, and swelling.
At Sunshine Vein Clinic, we have a range of non-surgical and minimally invasive options to treat varicose veins.
Our non-surgical vein treatments offer far better long term results than surgical vein stripping. Below is a list of the various non-surgical treatments that work to either physically remove your veins or cause them to be absorbed into your bodily tissue.
- Vein Gogh Thermolysis
- Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy
- Endovenous Laser Treatment
Our clinic located on the Sunshine Coast offers vein treatment options that do not require hospitalisation, general anaesthesia, or a prolonged recovery period. Patients typically experience minimal pain, and can return to work within a day or two. The five-year recurrence rate for vein treatment procedures like ours has been reported to be only 8 to 10%.